Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hand tossed glider. (Read 14685 times)
Charlieman
4 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Re: Hand tossed glider.
Reply #17 - Jun 26th, 2010 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
When I was a mere lad (and we'll have no "weren't you scared of the dinosoars?" comments!), I discovered the  Jetco Thermic 18 'cause the really cool Thermic Dart kits were all taken by the older guys in the church sponsered model club called "Sky Pilot's". In near desparation I built one and found it was a real performer. buit a new one every two weeks for two summers straight. Several in the off season too.

If built and trimmed to the plans the thing will fly O.O.S. or land on the HS gym roof, or HS pool or...break  or... . The point, is the design is a classic and IIRC the plans are available online. It's nearly fool proof and 9 year old friendly. I built one about two  years ago. I still have an original set of plans and cereal box templates for the wing and stabs.

When trimmed for quasi side arm Rt hand launch, the model will climbout in rt circle. About the time the model is flying down wind it will transition to left glide. If thrown overhand, it will climb up into a 1/2 loop, do a half roll at top, and begin lt hand glide.

charlie

IP Logged

Black Lion
4 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #16 - Jun 20th, 2010 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Another pic of the Sandpiper.

( 64 KB | 159 Downloads )
Sandpiper2.JPG

IP Logged

Black Lion
4 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #15 - Jun 20th, 2010 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Well, the Sandpiper is almost done but still needs to be doped to seal it up plus a few more tosses to trim and dial in. I took it out this morning and gave it a couple of light tosses in the backyard just to see what it wants to do and the first toss had it bank to the right and hit the back of the house after about 25 feet of glide. When I walked over to retrieve the plane I realized there was a slight breeze coming from around the back of the garage and it might have been what caught the plane and banked it right. Next two tosses were into that breeze (maybe 5mph) and I got two smooth, straight glides of about 35'.

We've had nothing but rain lately and the grass was still pretty wet so the little bugger was starting to soak up some moisture from the landings. I'm pretty pleased with the initial tosses and will wait until the balsa dries then put a light coat of dope to seal it.

The Sandpiper is a towline glider design but seems to glide well as a hand tossed airplane. Being planked it's on the heavy side but I'm sure it could be scaled down to a stick fuse and sheet balsa wings very easily. Here are the specs:

Wingspan: 36 in.
Wing area: 135 sq. in.
Length: 24.75 in.
Aspect ratio: 9.5:1
Air foil: Mod NACA 4412
Weight: 3.5 oz

Here's a pic of it:

( 61 KB | 125 Downloads )
Sandpiper1.JPG

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #14 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Looking forward to it.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

Black Lion
4 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 6:18am
Print Post  
Dug out an old plan for a "Sandpiper" glider and have been scratch building it for a week so far. When I get it done I'll give it a couple of tosses and post the measurements of the flights.

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Good to hear from you Pit. The glider thing has made me re-think how I trim planes.

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
I have a replica 404 that I built YEARS ago from a "plan" from one of the US model mags.  Took me a while before I got it sorted, but now flys consistantly.  I have a thread on SFA in the GLIDERS forum here along with more from one of the other members who is also "re- issuing" the design (hopefully).

I must have had at least 50 of those buggers when I was a kid.  My Dad got smart after the first 5 went bye-bye (YES, they were that good Grin) and started buying them by the half-dozen.

I made my pivot/dihedral brace from unclad pc board (glass) material - hand cut & drilled.  The relationship from the pivot, cross-tube rubber band carrier (that also acts as the wing-fold stop) and the length/strength of the rubber band are CRITICAL to the fuctionality.  There is a very good reason that Walker was awarded a patent for the plane.

( 179 KB | 168 Downloads )
2010_0512Gypsy-KielKraft0001.JPG

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 11:39am
Print Post  
John,
Great links...I think the link you're talking about is your first link.  I followed it today and the link says that a Mr. Macy used to make these models but passed away in 2009 so they are nolonger available.

great stuff though....I'm going to try the 404 interceptor from your second link...that's the very bird I was talking about in my earlier post.

regards,
Tom
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

John Webster
3 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #9 - May 28th, 2010 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
I thought I had a link to a guy who was manufacturing replicas of the AJ Walker folding wing Interceptor but can't find it now. Might be worth a googling.

When you begin to fly you are issued two bags, one full of luck and an empty one for experience.&&The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2010 at 5:36am
Print Post  
John, cool link. Thanks. Might try that that.
Lion, launched from a kite? Interesting. Now I have to build a kite......
Weather like it has been, perhaps a kite would get more use.
Have never done a folding wing thing.

IP Logged

John Webster
3 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #7 - May 26th, 2010 at 8:00pm
Print Post  

When you begin to fly you are issued two bags, one full of luck and an empty one for experience.&&The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - May 26th, 2010 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Great story TK...used to build kites and balsa gliders too...

Loved those folding wings Guillows gliders that were launched like the cat launched gliders...Spiral up 30 or 40 feet then the wings would snap open and she would glide down...then we'd throw hand launch gliders with straight pin in the nose to intercept the bomber....the guy that stuck his interceptor into the bomber won!!!! Grin Shocked Shocked Shocked  Mom never knew Grin Grin Grin
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Black Lion
4 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2010 at 8:58am
Print Post  
I built one when I was a kid. Got the plan out of some magazine my dad was getting. Solid balsa thing with about a 12" WS. Glided real nice but even steep launches didn't get much altitude or a real long flight. Clever as I was back then I made this thing up that has a sail and is wind powered up a kite string and meant to release a parachute when it hit a stop by the kite. Seemed like the ideal way to get some long flight out of the glider so...

The glider was last seen headed for the next county east of me.

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2010 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
I take back the vid thing. I keep forgetting that not everyone is married to a photo nut. In fact, screw the rules. I recently found a book with some pretty cool paper planes. Already built is cool too. Lets just say, if it glides, your in.
Anybody got a glider story?

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2010 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Thyme,
I'm interested but no video capabilities...only digital camers Lips Sealed Cry Wink Grin  Maybe when my ship comes in...Ha Ha!!!

Let me know...I'll keep watching Grin Grin
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint