Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) COMET DIMER COOKUP! (Read 474942 times)
staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Re: COMET DIMER COOKUP!
Reply #35 - Dec 14th, 2013 at 3:40am
Print Post  
I don't want to state that "I'm in" (MAJOR burn-out Undecided), but I've had the D-VII near the top of the pile for ages and my dimer "fleet" is really ragged.  Another negative is that my cook-up finsh rate is lousy at best.

But...

Maybe...

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Dec 13th, 2013 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Ok, the list has been updated and I want start tonight also Roll Eyes, but as Mitch stated Jan 1 is the start date. I can hold a blind eye thogh Cool

NAME:      CALL SIGN:      MODEL FOR BUILD:
Mitch J.                            Globe Swift
Tom Akery            
Bob Rippy              Art Chester's Racer
RMFF                            Fokker F-II

@ RMFF: I lived in Colorado from 1991 to 2003 and my job took me all over the state even lived in Westminster, Monument Hill, Commerce City, Loveland, and Longmont. l just loved the state, the only other besides my Texas.

Bob
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2014 at 7:53pm by »  

IP Logged

mitch j
4 Star Member

growing old-no choice,growing
up-optional

Reply #33 - Dec 13th, 2013 at 7:06am
Print Post  
Gday RMFF;
What a cool name for a club!! I dont know anyone who does this stuff (hence no club!) but i might put out some feelers-surely im not the only one who does this in my neck of the woods?
It might sound dumb but i guess i consider "Stick & Tissue"as my club.
Anyway,hold your horses buddy(you too Bob!!), Jan 1 is the start date remember!!

IP Logged

mitch j
4 Star Member

up-optional

Reply #32 - Dec 13th, 2013 at 6:11am
Print Post  
G'day all;

RMFF- It would be good to have you along for the ride mate-even just to show learners (ie. me!) a thing or two!(you too HD,-get involved,not just voluble!!) Seriously though guys,even if you dont build,your input will be muchly appreciated!

P.S. Not sure if this site has been mentioned before, but it has some  Earl Stahl plans (free) with builds notes & a bit of history. Its where i got the plans for the XP-54 from.

www.theplanpage.com/esp.htm

(P.S.S- a few pics of the D-VII would be cool-spiders & all!!)

Cheers guys!!

IP Logged

RMFF
2 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #31 - Dec 13th, 2013 at 6:05am
Print Post  
@bigrip74 Our club is the Magnificent Mountain Men Free Flight club here in Colorado. We have one of the premier flying sites in the US. Its basically SE of Denver, but it takes me about 25 minutes to get there. I doubt if your city bus goes that far.
Ok, I'll join in the Dimer Cookup with the Fokker F-II. I'm going to start tonight.

RMFF (Rocky Mountain Free Flighter)

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
@ RMFF : I would love to learn where your club is if it is not too far for me to travel by the city bus to join in those mass launces. And did i here you correctly that you plan to join us for the Comet Dimer cookoff I would love to add you to the list. BTW I thought up the Comet title since there may be enough of us who may just remember those maybe next time another builders.

@ Mitch: would love to see your photos of the Vultee XP 54 build.

Bob

IP Logged

mitch j
4 Star Member

up-optional

Reply #29 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
G'day bigrip 74;
By coincidence, i happen to have an Earl Stahl plan for the Vultee XP 54 sitting in front of me which i have just started cutting out.(not for the cookup ,just something else too do!) Hopefully pics to come soon!

Cheers mate!

IP Logged

RMFF
2 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #28 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Speaking of Dime Scale, our FF club will be holding a Dime Scale Mass Launch event every month next year (2014). The models don't have to be Comet models as there are others that made dime scale planes...ie Megow, Burd, Mystic Models, ect. It ought to be fun Smiley I do have a Comet Dime scale model I built a few years ago, a Fokker D-VII. Still have it and still in pristine condition. Its been sitting a box collecting cobwebs...darn spiders Angry. Anyway, I have plans for a Breda 15 dimer and a Fokker F-II dimer. I'm leaning towards the Fokker cause it has such personality Roll Eyes Good Luck with your Comet Cook-Up

RMFF

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Dec 11th, 2013 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Well! I am getting a little itchy  Cheesy to build something so I may start the Chester Racer and pull out the plans for the Vultee Attack for the cookup.

Bob

IP Logged

mitch j
4 Star Member

up-optional

Reply #26 - Dec 8th, 2013 at 3:11am
Print Post  
G'day HD;

Your ok mate-you make me laugh! Sometimes i cant keep up (ie your discussion with Tom about aerodynamics-i think it made my head hurt!!) but it is good to see people (such as yourself) passionate about their hobbies. I recon your a bit of a character mate!(P.S i'm not even going to ask what "scratchcooking" is-it sounds like something i do when my wife is away  ha ha!!)

Cheers mate!!

IP Logged

HudsonDuster
3 Star Member

Dedicated to Random Acts
of Terribleism

Reply #25 - Dec 7th, 2013 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Oh, hey, I was just rifin' on the Scratch stuf; as far as I'm concerned, the word "COMET" in the thread heading is as clear a boundary as we need!

And, nope, I can't build. Not involved, just voluble.
H'D

Michael J. Heinrich

and I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

IP Logged

mitch j
4 Star Member

up-optional

Reply #24 - Dec 7th, 2013 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
G'day H.D;

James Beard....? Who....? Sorry mate never heard of him!!

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Dec 7th, 2013 at 9:29am
Print Post  
@ H'D: I agree with most of what you stated, but this cook up should be relegated to the dime kits/plans from Comet that are listed either on AMA or FAC's  acceptable  dimers. Kit, plan, traced from either. There are many plans out there a l could even email a plan from my collection. If you have a printer I can show you how to print them @ 8.5x11 then tape together to have a set of plans.

Does this mean that your are in H'D?

@ Mitch: 1/1/2014 would be a good starting point then run for 1 or 2 years.

Maybe some criteria would be in order:
1. Comet subject.
2. Kit/plan/tracing from any Comet dimer.
3. 1/1/2014 start date.
4. Photos and plenty of them.

Ring in with any ideas re: criteria.

Bob

IP Logged

HudsonDuster
3 Star Member

Dedicated to Random Acts
of Terribleism

Reply #22 - Dec 7th, 2013 at 8:23am
Print Post  
mitch j wrote on Dec 7th, 2013 at 3:54am:
(By the way, I've been wondering if "scratch building" is the right way to describe what i/we are  doing because i am using someone else's plans,not drawing up my own plans "from scratch", so to speak.(I would like to try drawing up my own plans one day but that aint gonna happen yet!!) Just curious on other peoples thoughts.)

Wow. Do that, and some guy's gonna demand we grow our own balsa. It's like gunslingers out here - "Y'think y're a Scratchbuilder, Pard?...Y' build Scratch, huh? - Wull, I say AH'M more Scratch than YEWW, lookie here at mah hand-pressed Esaki..."

It's pretty well accepted that the term applies to "not from a kit." Considering the bare-bones simplicity of the in-the-Day DIME kits, I would claim they're already like the gateway drug for scratchbuilders: basically the stock tossed into a box that you then scratchbuild from. Come to think, it could be argued that any printwood kit is in that genre, and that true kits begin with pop-out crushwood like Guillows and proceeds from there. Worth considering, if that scratchslinger ever kicks open your saloon door.
   As a former draughtsman myself (not the guy pouring beers behind the Scratch Saloon bar, it's my preferred term for guys who do scale model airplane plans: those planes were already designed, by guys like Kelly Johnson and Kurt Tank &c. &c. - we just draw an airframe around the image!), I'd opine that most of model drafting is in a different hobby entirely from building, making the "scratchbuilding" thing kinda less relevant.
   But it don't hurt to have an extra hobby. Let's begin -
   The main reason to draw your own plan is because you haven't got an existing airframe you want. (That's the whole point behind FAC "Pseudo-Dime" - they might have changed the official name, I dunno - where guys can do an in-the-style-of model of something that wasn't done in the Day.)
   So, first, decide what you want to see that's missing in the extant plans: More structure/less structure? Sketch in what you want over the drawing you got and heyPresto, you're a draughtsman. Want a bigger model? Blow it up and figure whether you need a stick or two more, extra ribs...you're a draughtsman.
   From that, it's a small step up to working off a three-view, a logical progression from sketching over somebody else's airframe.
   We could talk more about this stuff, if you like, but I think it should have its own thread. Back to cooking up Dimers, and watch out for that scratchcooking James Beard a-comin' for yeww...

H'D

Michael J. Heinrich

and I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

IP Logged

mitch j
4 Star Member

up-optional

Reply #21 - Dec 7th, 2013 at 3:54am
Print Post  
G'day Bob;
Good to hear your keen to get going-so am i mate! Maybe wait till a few more get on board (hint hint folks-if you've not tried a scratch build yet,now's the time-nothing to loose!!Also, its not a race-take your time-slow & steady gets there in the end!)

I'm guessing a 1st Jan start? Its your call mate!

(By the way, I've been wondering if "scratch building" is the right way to describe what i/we are  doing because i am useing someone elses plans,not drawing up my own plans "from scratch", so to speak.(I would like to try drawing up my own plans one day but that aint gonna happen yet!!) Just curious on other peoples thoughts.)

Anyway,it wont be long Bob & we can get into it !!

Cheers mate!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 
Send TopicPrint