Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) BROKEN WING - Sig "CABINAIRE" 22" wingspan (Read 14566 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Re: BROKEN WING - Sig "CABINAIRE" 22" wingspan
Reply #34 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
5487     All mating surfaces have now been "double white glued", and the "angled" Root Rib is installed and blocked up square, according to the Grid Lines on the building board.

5490     The vertical front face, and the bottom, of the square balsa blocking block, have had wax paper scotch-taped to it, to prevent it from being glued to the wing.

5492     Everything is now tight and aligned to the building board grid lines.

5493    Waiting now for the glue to dry.

( 119 KB | 66 Downloads )
IM005487_1024x768.jpg
( 111 KB | 49 Downloads )
IM005490_1024x768.jpg
( 124 KB | 54 Downloads )
IM005492_1024x768.jpg
( 129 KB | 60 Downloads )
IM005493_1024x768.jpg

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #33 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
5474     Test fitting of the "angled" Root Rib, to the inward edges of the LE and TE, and test fitted with the top of the rib to the doubled Spar Stinger.

5481    Close up of the test fit of the "angled" Root Rib.

5482     Test fit with the square, vertical, blocking face, that is aligned to the building board Grid Lines.

( 127 KB | 57 Downloads )
IM005474_1024x768.jpg
( 106 KB | 60 Downloads )
IM005481_1024x768.jpg
( 115 KB | 54 Downloads )
IM005482_1024x768.jpg

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #32 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
5465   The wing tip is blocked up tin the "WING TIP DIHEDRAL HOLDER" for   1 1/2"   dihedral.    The LE and Te is blocked up even with the building board grid lines (these came in handy), using blasa blocks.  The inward edges of the LE and TE of this outer wing panel, are pinned flat to the Building Board with small balsa bracing planks.

5467    I cut out the "angled" Root Rib a little larger, so I could add a slight bevel to the top and bottom of the rib, to blend to the dihedral, and to be even with the other ribs, and then cut out the notch at the top of the rib for the double Spar Stringer to fit.

5470     Closeup of the angled root rib.

5473      Another closeup of the angled root rib.

( 131 KB | 53 Downloads )
IM005465_1024x768.jpg
( 121 KB | 53 Downloads )
IM005467_1024x768.jpg
( 107 KB | 53 Downloads )
IM005470_1024x768.jpg
( 115 KB | 56 Downloads )
IM005473_1024x768.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #31 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Looks like you're making great progress.  What will you use to set the angle of the rib? 

I usually pin the root of the wing to the board using the L.E. and T.E. and then lift the tip to the proper dihedral.  I then use a right triangle to hold the root rib vertical and glue it in place.  This give me the proper angle on the rib for placement on the fuselage/wing center section.

Just a thought.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #30 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
     The vertical "Strengthening Support Rib" is now double-glued in place to dry.  One more rib, the innermost "angled" root rib is left to be added, which will glue to the wing center section vertical rib.  This innermost "angled" rib must be installed at the correct angle to give the wing the proper dihedral, and the same incidence and the other wing.

( 146 KB | 53 Downloads )
IM005449_1024x768.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #29 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
     This will leave enough of the Top of rib doubled Spar sticking past the "Strengthening support Rib", to fit into a top-of-rib notch on the "angled" innermost root rib yet to be installed.

( 149 KB | 48 Downloads )
IM005448_1024x768.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #28 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
     After trial and error, and a few tries, I got the "strengthening support rib" notches fitted, for the doubled-up Top Spar, and the tripled-up bottom spar of the wing, and also fitted to the LE and TE of the wing.

( 150 KB | 46 Downloads )
IM005447_1024x768.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #27 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
     The wing is now clamped down flat to the building board, in order to glue in an 'extra' vertical "strengthening support rib" , before gluing on the angled rib for dihedral.   I carved up some extra ribs to practice on.  I eventually made this "strengthening support rib" (closest flat rib to the wing), to be located flat to the table, and glued on the inner side near the bottom, up against what is left of the remaining  1/8"  X 1/16"  inner wing bottom plate, that I cut through with a razor saw, to remove the left wing from the center section of the plane, near the inward wing root rib.

( 161 KB | 48 Downloads )
IM005446_1024x768.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #26 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Well, I started to work on it - THERE IS MORE THAT ONE WAY TO SKIN A CAT - cut out some ribs, Dihedral block set up, and thinking of using the big block on the right to get the furthest inward wing root rib vertical.
LWM

( 207 KB | 57 Downloads )
NEW_RIBS_CUT_AND_DIHEDRAL_BLOCK.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #25 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Dust cart - OH NO - I missed your reply  Cry  , and I cut off the wing first thing this morning.  That was in the back of my mind to just glue on the strut arms with locator tooth pic points ,  locating the attach points in the same spots, and I thought it would be under too much bending stress   Huh   - I didn't think about  "carefully flood the root rib/fuselage joint with acetone using a small brush (you don't want to let too much saturation of the surrounding areas) and let it sit.  A few applications might be necessary, depending on how much glue was used in the joint."   I could have tried that ...  Sad   , and if it didn't work, then cut off the wing - I don't know how I missed your response DUH!! 
      Thanks so much for the tip - it would have been interesting to see how it worked out.  Too late now ...  Embarrassed 
I have calculated the degree angle for an angle plate for mounting my root rib to the wing.   If I stick this wing root rib onto the fuse side, it should raise the wing to the correct dihedral.  I am also considering using tooth pic point locators for the wing root ( never done that before ... ).   Now I am wondering if I should also use little tooth pic point locators for the strut attachment points also - I can see the exact points where the strut was attached to. I am just wondering what would now be the best way to do it - all at once ?  I am still open to any and all suggestions ... thanks guys  Smiley

LWM

( 129 KB | 49 Downloads )
IM005426_1024x768.jpg

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #24 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 6:45am
Print Post  
LASTWOODSMAN wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 4:23pm:
Couldn't sleep - got up before 5:00 am to take off all the bracing planks to see how the dihedral turned out - it turned out BAD !!   Tongue   Cry   Undecided   Sad  LOL    Will it still fly ? - but just not as well as with full equal dihedral ??

5365  - LONG VIEW - there is a big loss of dihedral in the left wing
5366  - SIDE VIEW -
5368  - FRONT VIEW - Here you see the loss of dihedral
5370  - FRONT VIEW - See it here better
5369  - LEFT VIEW -
5371  - REAR VIEW - See it better here too ...

The wing is actually very solid.  Open to suggestions ...  All I can think of is aligning the stab a little off from horizontal, to match the wingtip to wingtip dihedral, and keeping the fin/rudder perpendicular to the stab.  It should still fly, even though the fuse sides will not fly perpendicular to the ground, right?

NO, NO, NO!
mount the struts first, making sure  that the attach points are where they were originally!  This will force up the wing to the original dihedral.  Then, carefully flood the root rib/fuselage joint with acetone using a small brush (you don't want to let too much saturation of the surrounding areas) and let it sit.  A few applications might be necessary, depending on how much glue was used in the joint.

You really don't want to disturb the model while this process is "happening".  The acetone will slightly loosen the glue, allowing the stresses to relieve (the wing and/or the struts will have bowed) and , once dry, everything should be OK.

The loss of dihedral was caused by allowing the major mass of the plane to be unsupported while the wing was being repaired (hanging off the table).

The repair looks fine Smiley

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #23 - Jul 19th, 2017 at 5:18am
Print Post  
No - it is not recessed - had to sleep on that one.  Mike I can cut the wing off flat to the root rib  Smiley  - I just had to look at it more ...  Undecided   Thanks for the good tips.
LWM

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #22 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks a lot Mike - that does help a lot !!   Smiley  It seems a little more complicated though - here is the plan pics if there is any more directions or options ... I cant just cut off the wing because it is recessed   Undecided  I like the idea you have so far Mike ....
LWM

( 127 KB | 61 Downloads )
IM005377_1024x768.jpg
( 133 KB | 65 Downloads )
IM005378_1024x768.jpg
( 130 KB | 69 Downloads )
IM005379_1024x768.jpg
( 139 KB | 74 Downloads )
IM005380_1024x768.jpg

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #21 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
LWM - taking off the wing may be your best bet here.  Rather than doubling up the root rib and sanding angles, go back to your plans and make an angle plate matching the dihedral angle and use that to set the angle of the new root rib when gluing it in.

Another advantage to taking the wing off is that your can cover it off the model, pinning it down to keep it flat during shrinking and doping.  You'll want to make sure you get a good solid join when putting the wing back on, and pay attention to keeping the incidence of the left and right wings identical - may want to consider a couple of short locating pins in the root rib.

Hope this helps,

Mike

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #20 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Just had an idea - how about if I just cut  the wing off and glue up two root ribs, sand an angle on them and reattach to the wing center section ?   Undecided   Shocked   Roll Eyes
LWM

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint