Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Carrier Launch Jetcat! (Read 2009 times)
bigrip74
Ex Member

Re: Carrier Launch Jetcat!
Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Must have been fun. Love the video.

Bob

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Mike, Paul, thanks for the kind words.  The carrier jetcat event was a lot of fun, although it took place on the final day of the contest and I was scrambling to get my flights in before the cutoff time.  Rich Adams won the event with an A-7 flying consistent 18-19 second flights.  I was in the middle of the pack.

Nothing really precise about the event, launch down the deck and the model lands wherever it goes.  The swept-wing F-111 insisted on hooking around and buzzing the pits regardless of launch direction - just happy it didn't spear anyone.

The markings were printed on Esaki, white areas colored with Prismacolor pencil, then shrunk and doped on a frame.  The neat thing was that the dope rendered the unprinted/colored tissue nearly clear, which disappeared against the grey and white surfaces much like a waterslide decal would.  Drawback of this method was that the markings didn't adhere well to the painted surface and kept curling up.  Eventually locked them down by flooding with dope thinner, at the expense of some damage to the paint.

Mike

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Quote:
airbrushed and marked-up with printed tissue insignia

These are great looking airplanes and the contest sounds terrific but would hope to see some pictures of the take off and landing, sounds precise.

Also, gotta know how you got the most brilliant and dense color on your tissue cals, especially when stretched on a frame.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

shipwreck
4 Star Member

Navy Vet

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Those look great! cool vid to  Smiley I believe I have a couple of the west wing kits in my stash Cool
Paul

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Outstanding Mike...Gonna have to look into a couple kits for myself!!! Thanks for sharing these models with us and the great video! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Carrier Launch Jetcat!
Sep 15th, 2019 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
The theme for this October's WestFAC meet is carrier aviation.  For jetcat there will be a special carrier launch event where the gliders will be launched from a fixed catapult attached to a deck (folding table).  Participating aircraft types have to have been flown on and off aircraft carriers.  My entry for this will be a pair of F-111Bs, the short-lived Navy version of the F-111 and progenitor to the legendary F-14 Tomcat.

Starting with the Estes/West Wings kit I built one basically using the kit wood (with  the addition of a 1/64" ply core in the forward fuselage and substituting a 1/16" sheet fin for the two slabs of oak provided in the kit.  Using the kit parts a templates I cut a second one, but instead of copying the kit's swept-back wings I cut new wings in the full-forward position shaped in plan view as if the flaps and slats were deployed.  Both were sanded up, assembled, sealed, airbrushed and marked-up with printed tissue insignia.

The kit version came out at almost 25g, the approach-configured copy is more like 18g.  The kit version took just a bit of balancing then flew well the first day out.  The approach bird seemed to do the same, but there was a problem lurking in those very thin and shapely wings.  The first time I tried to fly it off the table, the wings snapped.  Reviewing video from the day, at launch those wings were fluttering!  A strip of carbon fiber epoxied under the wing resolved the problem, and both jetcats are now flying smoothly off the deck.  I hesitate to say they'll be competitive, as typical flights are 12-15 seconds, but they're a lot of fun!

Video at:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQcNM345AwM

Mike

( 335 KB | 96 Downloads )
0822_F-111B_Jetcats_In_Work.JPG
( 286 KB | 91 Downloads )
0823_Phoenix_BIrd_Parts.JPG
( 273 KB | 92 Downloads )
0904_Approach_Bird_Sanded_and_Lined.JPG
( 365 KB | 121 Downloads )
0907_Pair_Painted_and_Ready_for_Decals.JPG
( 329 KB | 94 Downloads )
0908_F-111B_Pair_Right_Front_High.JPG