Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Another Golden Age Beauty! (Read 4005 times)
alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Re: Another Golden Age Beauty!
Reply #29 - Apr 11th, 2023 at 7:13am
Print Post  
New Builder wrote on Apr 10th, 2023 at 5:40am:
...and where did you find the art work?
Mike

This Gilmore Lion stuff came from a paper model ad that I found on the 'net. Lucky find!

Otherwise, I'll do google searches for a specific airplane model or decal set. If I find a picture, I can take a screenshot and then use it to make the tissue decals. A photo editing app such as Paint Shop Pro is useful in fine-tuning the appearance of the decal.

It's pretty much a coin toss. Sometimes I find something useful, sometimes not. This is the Gilmore Lion paper model ad:

( 117 KB | 48 Downloads )
Gilmore_Lion_001.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #28 - Apr 11th, 2023 at 6:11am
Print Post  
AK- Thank you for the tutorial, very helpful and I'll definitely try your tissue install method on one of my sample frames. Adding the lettering and markings has been the one difficult tasks for me. Thanks again.

As to your plane, a stunningly beautiful piece of work, really anxious for the unveiling.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #27 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Absolutely stunning!!!  She'll be a knock out when you get her all together!!!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #26 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 7:11am
Print Post  
That looks really sharp AK!  Going to be a really striking model when complete.

Mike

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #25 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 6:14am
Print Post  
New Builder wrote on Apr 10th, 2023 at 5:40am:
Nice print work and looking really nice. What did you use to attach the printed tissue?
Mike

All of the tissue was applied using a regular purple glue stick. The wing, stab, and rudder trim was cut from red tissue. Once the red trim was on, I used Paint Shop Pro to adjust the color of how the printed lettering matched the color of the red trim. I printed the lettering on regular white tissue. If the tissue has a dull side, I print on that side. After drying, I may "chalk" the printed side with PanPastel or a Prismacolor pencil to accentuate the colors if needed.

Each letter was applied separately after close trimming with a scalpel. The glue stick was used to get each piece into the proper position, and then I let the thing dry. Once dry, I then glued down any remaining part or edge that needed attaching using a small brush and a slurry made from dissolving a piece of glue stick in alcohol. The alcohol does not affect the ink.

Sometimes, I use a diluted mix of Aleens Tacky Glue and water to attach tissue to rounded surfaces like the cowling or wing tips. Be careful since some tissue loses its strength when wet. I rub the tissue with a smooth hard object (like a Sharpie pen) to blend the tissue edges together and form the tissue over the contours to achieve a smooth surface. MKelly is an expert at this.

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #24 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 5:40am
Print Post  
Nice print work and looking really nice. What did you use to attach the printed tissue and where did you find the art work?
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #23 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Progress report. Coming along with the tissue decals and assorted bits.

( 59 KB | 51 Downloads )
lock_status_2.jpg

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #22 - Apr 3rd, 2023 at 11:12am
Print Post  
pb_guy wrote on Apr 3rd, 2023 at 10:35am:
From what you say, the smudging is definitely because the tissue is not adhering to the carrier paper, and is brushing against the print heads. You might consider either a slightly heavier spray of adhesive, or perhaps heating the spray can in hot water and giving it a good shake before applying, or going for a new can of adhesive spray.
YMMV  ian

OK, that makes sense. The tissue wasn't laying perfectly flat. I bought a new can of Elmer's spray adhesive and followed the instructions seen in a YouTube video. While the spray was definitely "tacky", for some reason the tissue only stuck in some spots.

Thanks for the tip!!

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #21 - Apr 3rd, 2023 at 10:35am
Print Post  
From what you say, the smudging is definitely because the tissue is not adhering to the carrier paper, and is brushing against the print heads. You might consider either a slightly heavier spray of adhesive, or perhaps heating the spray can in hot water and giving it a good shake before applying, or going for a new can of adhesive spray.
YMMV  ian

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #20 - Apr 3rd, 2023 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Kittyfritters wrote on Apr 2nd, 2023 at 4:18pm:
I don't know if the HP8600 is one of the HP printers that opens so that you have complete access to the paper rollers but if it is, open it up and use alcohol to clean all the rollers. 

Cleaned the rollers using info from the 'net. No change. Not sure what is going on, haven't had a problem before. No smudging if I just print the decal image but as soon as I try printing on tissue, the smudges return. I use either scotch tape or glue stick to hold the tissue down. I tried using Elmers spray adhesive but wasn't able to get the tissue to stick.

Tried using Esaki and regular wrapping tissue, printing on both shiny and dull sides, no luck.

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #19 - Apr 3rd, 2023 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Very nice work AK and particularly like he choice of eras. you are right there are a lot of beautiful aircraft in that time frame to model and is why I decided to stick with the older civilian aircraft. Also a great idea adding the removable wing, very clever with the tube and paper clip arrangement. Chasing colors is always a challenge and agree with Kittyfritters in using acrylic ink. My go to is Dr. Ph. Martins India ink, very transparent and airbrush ready, huge array of colors. For a bit more opacity I use Liquitex acrylic ink also in a wide array of colors.  Really looking forward to the final details.
Mike

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #18 - Apr 2nd, 2023 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
I don't know if the HP8600 is one of the HP printers that opens so that you have complete access to the paper rollers but if it is, open it up and use alcohol to clean all the rollers.  Also, check the bottom of the print head carrier.  It's a good idea to put a couple of streaks of repositionable glue stick on the carrier sheet before you put the tissue on to keep it from bowing as it goes through the printer.

When I actually airbrush a model, instead of using colored tissue, I use opaque acrylic airbrush ink.  It's lighter than thinned acrylic paint.  I comes properly thinned for airbrushing and has an amazing available range of colors.  It is a bit more expensive.  If I'm going to make an aluminum colored model, and since I have run out of metalic Esaki with no more in sight, I spray with Design Master Silver, so far, the lightest solution to the problem that I have found.

KF

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #17 - Apr 2nd, 2023 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Slow but steady progress. I'm at the tissue decal stage, have the large red areas done and am working on the other markings. My HP8600 hasn't been cooperative, leaving black ink smudges on the tissue and I haven't found a fix. So I used my wife's Canon and the result was not too shabby.

Once I get the decals on, I'll mount the wing and finish off the fiddly bits. Hopefully, it will look something like this.

( 9 KB | 25 Downloads )
RT_Air_Express.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #16 - Feb 28th, 2023 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
That looks great AK!!!  I've found acrylic hobby paints thinned with Isopropyl Alcohol sprays really well.  Some is a bit grainy so that needs to be determined up front.  It not hard to tell.  Others thin well and can be used easily!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #15 - Feb 28th, 2023 at 8:37am
Print Post  
I wasn't happy with the darker color and so I sprayed a coat or two of acrylic. I found a bottle of something called "Butter Cream" in the paint section of Michaels (or Hobby Lobby), a basic cheap acrylic for artists. Definitely not the expensive modeler's acrylic like Vallejo or Model Master...but it thinned with water and sprayed evenly. Close enough for what passes for gov't work these days.

( 29 KB | 60 Downloads )
lock5a.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint